Wednesday, June 19, 2013

garden update: my plant children

Day 1 vs Day 16


Isn't it amazing what a little sunshine, water, and an appropriate amount of love can do? My little garden is growing like crazy and I'm especially proud of the beans and peas that I grew from seeds.

What I've learned so far about my plant children:

  • Squash is the crazy one who does steroids and you're worried about their future and whether their balls might shrink. I bought way too many for this tiny 13x5 space.
  • The miracle of life is amazing. If I'm this excited about sprouts from seeds, I don't know how crazy I'll be when I have a baby (human seed!) (no this is not an announcement). So my seedlings are the needy but super impressive ones.
  • Corn is a pimp and seems to grow an inch/day so obv they are the ones going through puberty. So far they think they know everything, and spoiler alert, they do.
  • Lettuce is a water hog aka the guttons of the family. Like mother like plant children.
  • Peppers (bell, habanero, and jalepeno) are the nerds who work really hard but have nothing on the outside to show for it (yet). I also may have planted them too close together so there's a chance they won't actually grow or fruit at all (smothering mom).
  • Cilantro and Parsley are "Team Herb" and are totally potheads (get it, they're in pots). But they're doing great so I'm not going to rehab them or anything.
  • Tomatoes are my athletes - competing against each other and turning out a bunch of tiny green fruits that I'm sure will be amazing once they ripen.
Well that's enough crazy for today. 

Side note: I planted flowers from seeds since the beans/peas were so easy/amazing. Updates on those in 10-16 days :)


2 comments:

  1. This is hilarious. I love how you gave them all character!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to watching your family grow =)

    ReplyDelete